The Truth in OH-2 CD

The voice of TRUTH for politics in the Second Congressional District of Ohio.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Cincinnati Enquirer: Too Lazy; Too Incompetent; or Too Dishonest?

By Nate Noy

Fact: On July 31, 2005 the Cincinnati Enquirer endorsed Jean Schmidt for Congress and cited her "file card memory" as one of the primary reasons for giving her an endorsement.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050731/EDIT03/507310314/1023/EDIT

Fact: In April of this year Jean Schmidt gave sworn testimony (which is a matter of public record) that she does not remember what most people would consider significant events in her life such as: the kind of college degree she has; what years she attended college; and the reason for her to have a website.

These two facts are a significant contradiction. Leading most logical minds to form one of four conclusions:

(1) The Enquirer was aware of Schmidt's testimony but is far too dishonest to share the truth with the public. Since they have endorsed her as having a "file card memory" any coverage of this revelation by Schmidt would be an embarrassment to the paper.

(2) The Enquirer is simply too lazy to cover the story. They know the truth but no one there has the energy to type up an article and share the truth with the public, instead they are too busy writing about Jean's new $40,000+ SUV.

(3) The Enquirer does not employ anyone that is actually competent enough to read the public record and expose this inconsistency. (I highly doubt this since I've met Jon Craig, he is a good reporter and quite competent.)

(4) Jean Schmidt lied in her sworn testimony and really does have a "file card memory." Which leads us to the rhetorical question of: Is the Enquirer Too Lazy; Too Incompetent; or Too Dishonest to cover this lie?

A link to the entire testimony is here.

Some of the most telling questions and answers include:

Q. Is that a B.S. or a B.A.?
A. I'm not sure. I think it's a B.A., or is it a Bachelor of Science? I don't know. I would have to say I don't know.

Q. And when did you start pursuing, then, the master's of education degree at UC?
A. I'm not sure.
Q. When did you stop attending the classes in pursuit of the master's?
A. I'm not sure.
Q. Do you know what years -- after 1974, do you know what years specifically you attended classes at UC?
A. I'm not sure.
Q. To your knowledge, did you attend any classes after 1986?
A. I'm not sure.

Q. And have you ever received a degree in social studies?
A. I'm not sure.
Q. What classes would you have taken that would make you unsure or make it a possibility that you would have obtained a degree in social studies?
A. I don't know.

Q. You completed some course work in 1986 at UC, is that correct?
A. Yes.
Q. That was in pursuit of the master's degree, is that right?
A. I'm not sure.

Q. Have you ever had a teaching certificate?
A. Yes.
Q. When was that?
A. I'm not sure.
Q. When you completed your course work, then you also had to do certain hours of teaching, isn't that correct?
A. I don't know.

Q. What is your understanding of the certificate that you had?
A. I don't have any understanding of the certificate that I have.

Q. Do you have an understanding as to why you may have a Web site?
A. At this point, I think it's a good question. I don't have an answer why I would have it at this point.

Q. You're paying money to host a Web site, is that right?
A. I guess I am.
Q. So, why are you doing that?
A. I don't know.
Q. Well, if you don't know, ma'am, who would?
A. I don't know.

Q. You don't know who would even know why you would have a Web site?
A. It's a personal question. You know, at this point, I don't know why I would even want a Web site.
Q. So are you saying you're going to take it down?
A. I don't know.
Q. What would you need to know to make that determination?
A. I don't know.
Q. Do you even know what you use the Web site for?
A. I don't use the Web site.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earth to Nate. Mr. Braun (your good friend by now) instructed her to not answer any questions, and that's what she's doing. If you're unsure of answers being given to you on the bench under oath, unsure of the complete truth, you're allowed to say I don't know. Didn't they teach you that in Law School, or did you not study that because you didn't need to pass the bar which you've never done according to every website I've ever checked.

Your site spells out what will most likely be of the rest of any career you'll have, failure.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home